Hong Kong Bird Watching Society
The Hong Kong Bird Watching Society (HKBWS) was founded in 1957.It is one of the oldest membership-based non-governmental organizations concerned about the appreciation and the conservation of birds and their habitat in Hong Kong. HKBWS was incorporated in 2002 as a limited company and was at the same time approved as a charitable organization of a public character.
To promote the study of ornithology by encouraging the study of birds so as to understand their biology and ecology;
To promote the appreciation and the understanding of birds;
To aid the conservation of birds, wildlife and their habitats; and
To promote observance of laws protecting birds and in particular the Wild Animals Protection Ordinance.
- To present HKBWS views on local development plans;
- To provide professional comments to the government on conservation action, birds and habitat protection .
- International representation in BirdLife International and Oriental Bird Club .
- Involvement in Asia Red Data Book and Important Bird Area compilation .
- Campaign for the conservation work of Mai Po since 1979 .
- Founder of Hong Kong Big Bird Race, annual fund-raising activity for wildlife and habitat conservation of WWFHK.
- The Mai Po and Inner Deep Bay Waterfowl Monitoring programme.
- Review of Hong Kong bird records.
- Publication of annual Hong Kong Bird Report and maintain a checklist of birds of Hong Kong.
- Wintering ecology of Black-faced Spoonbil.
- Bird monitoring at Long Valley.
- Breeding bird survey at Tai Po Kau Forest Reserve.
- Promoting bird watching as an extracurricular activity among secondary schools.
- Weekend bird watching outings to various bird habitats in Hong Kong .
- Organize bird watching tours in mainland China .
- Slide shows, talks and lectures on bird watching and nature conservation.
Correspondence address :G.P.O. Box 12460, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2377 4387
Fax: (852) 2314 3687